KapohoKine Adventures - Evening Volcano Explorer
Visit the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and experience the Kilauea Volcano at sunset! This is a fully-narrated Hawaii volcano adventure starting from either Kona or Hilo.
Your adventure starts with a picnic-style lunch at a local coffee farm, home to the world-famous Kona coffee. After lunch, you’ll visit the impressive Punaluu Black Sand Beach, where green sea turtles rest and feed.
At Hawaii Volcanoes National Park your Park Ranger-trained guide will show you the all the top attractions – from active volcanic craters and steam vents to the historic Jaggar Museum. Watch for current volcanic activity as the sun sets. After your exciting day excursion, you’ll enjoy a delicious dinner at the historic Volcano House, perched on the rim of Kilauea Volcano.
The drive from Kona is usually on Saddle Road between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea. The drive back to Kona is usually via the southern side of the island. The tour is approximately 10 hours long.
Your adventure starts at the KapohoKine Adventures store in downtown Hilo, where you can stock up on supplies (such as GoPro cameras, Patagonia gear, Keen gear, Columbia gear) or check out the indoor climbing wall. We’ll then continue on to the black basalt lava fields in Kalapana, a village that once lay in the path of the advancing lava flow just a few years ago and was completely destroyed.
The first stop will be a walk across the recent lava flows to the newest black sand beach on the island. Here the volcano engulfed everything in its path and completely filled in Kaimu Bay with molten lava. Then it’s back on the bus, which takes you (when possible) over the lava flows that overran the highway. You’ll also get to see the historic Painted Church, the first home in Hawaii of Saint Damien, which is now decommissioned. This church was actually moved TWICE by local villagers to protect it from advancing molten lava flows that threatened to destroy it.
You’ll then arrive at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park to see the highlights of the volcanic areas, volcanic craters, steam vents and the Jaggar Museum. As the sun sets watch for the glow of volcanic activity. After your exciting day excursion, you’ll enjoy a delicious dinner at the historic Volcano House overlooking Kilauea Volcano. The tour is approximately 7 hours long.
Tour Inclusions (for both Kona and Hilo pick-up):
- Military-grade LED flashlights
- Umbrellas, walking sticks, camera tripod to share, mosquito repellant, sunblock
- Snacks and beverages (water, juice, soda) all day
- Dinner at the historic Volcano House*
- All park entrance fees included
* Special dietary requirements and restrictions accommodated on request with advance notice.
- Where and When:
- Pick-ups are available from Kona at set locations depending on where you are staying.
KapohoKine Adventures Office
224 Kamehameha Ave Suite 106, Hilo
Next door to the Historic Palace Theater
- Guests should be able to negotiate stairs and walk for 20 minutes unassisted. State law requires child safety seats for all guests under 4 years of age. Booster seats required for all guests between ages 4 and 7 and under 4 feet 9 inches tall and 80 pounds weight (we’re happy to supply child safety or booster seats at no charge with advance notice). Guests under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by an adult.
- Volcanic emissions, including sulfur gas, may affect those with respiratory concerns. Participants should be prepared for immediate evacuation in accordance with directions given by County, State or Federal officials.
- Special Notes:
- Please note: Red molten lava may not be seen and cannot be guaranteed. Volcanic activity changes constantly and cannot be guaranteed.
- Operation Days:
- Tour duration from Kona is approx. 10 hours. Tour duration from Hilo is approx. 7 hours.
- KapohoKine Adventures
- Big Island