Hawaii Adventures Now - Extreme Lava Flow Hiking Tour
This is a charter tour option for up to 12 guests.
Hawaii Adventures Now offers a fully guided hike to see the entry of lava into the ocean on this Extreme Lava Hike to Ocean Entry tour! Not for the faint of heart, this hiking tour includes a trek that is 4.5 miles in and 4.5 miles out, but is the best chance at seeing lava flowing and breakouts from the Pu'u O'o vent.
Enjoy the ride from the Kona side of the island over to the Hilo side! Ride along Saddle Road into Hilo for a brief tour of the town and stop at the famous Rainbow Falls and Big Island Candies factory. Enjoy cookie and Kona coffee samples before heading to Pahoa, a town where lava threatened their existence in 2014. See Kaimu, a black sand beach that was covered by lava eruption.
Hike from the Kalapana trailhead out to see the active lava flow. This is not an easy hiking area, but the resulting views of the end location are beautiful! Any recent lava entering the ocean provides steam shows and sometimes visible flowing lava. Hike up to the cliff and onto the lava fields for a picnic-style dinner, photos and any possible lava breakout moments before heading back to the van for the return trip to Kona.
- Views of Saddle Road
- Brief tour of Hilo town, visit to Rainbow Falls and Big Island Candies
- See Pahoa and Kaimu
- Hike Kalapana trail, see any active lava flow and any active lava flow into the ocean (lava views cannot be guaranteed due to weather conditions)
orders will be confirmed by Hawaii Adventures Now after tour is
confirmed. Special Dietary requests are accepted. If booking far in
advance, guests will be contacted closer to tour date to confirm meal
- Pick-up at major west Hawaii hotels from Kona to Waikoloa
- Experienced Volcanoes National Park certified guide
- Picnic-style local dinner, or meals are provided by local restaurants depending on the direction and timing of the tour
- Umbrellas and flashlights