KapohoKine Adventures - Kings, Kohala and Paniolo (from Hilo)
Join Kapohokine Adventrues on an adventure to explore the birthplace of King Kamehameha, Kohala, with the Kings, Kohala and Paniolo tour!
Meet at the Hilo office location before heading off to the spectacular Hamakua Coast! The motorcoach makes a small stop at the Tex Drive-In, famous for malasadas! Malasadas are a fried Portuguese sweet treat.
Continue on along the spine of Kohala Volcano and enjoy the sghts as you travel along Kohala's mountain road from Waimea.
Once you reach the Pololu Valley, we'll start our hike out to see black sand beach dunes and panoramic views of the Island of Hawaii! In the distance, more than 40 miles away, the enormous Pu'ukohala Heiau can be seen. It was created with stones passed hand to hand from the Pololu Valley by order of King. Next visit the original statue of King Kamehamea, commissioned in 1878 and cast in Paris in commemoration of the King's unification of the Islands.
We'll make a stop in the town of Hawai, known for the IRONMAN race, for some lunch. You'll also have time for a little exploring at the shops, galleries, sugar plantation museum, and/or the visitor's center before we leave the area to head to Paniolo Country!
National Park Service trained guides will share historical and cultural significance of landmarks and the ranching community in Paniolo County. Visit Parker Ranch where there are two historic homes, the orginal Mana Hale and the Pu'uopelu of the Parker family. Both homes have been preserved and are rich with heirlooms and treasures.
To conclude the tour, you'll head back towards Hilo along Saddle Road. Views of Mauna Loa, and Mauna Kea are ample along the road. You can even catch glimpses of the Pohakuloa Training Area, the largest American military instillation in the Pacific, before descending down towards Hilo.
- Hamakua Coast
- Tex Drive-In
- Kohala's Mountain Road from Waimea
- Return along Saddle Road, Mauna Loa, & Mauna Kea
- Hike into Pololu Valley
- Black sand beach dunes
- Pu'ukohola Heiau views
- Original statue of King Kamehameha
- Hawi Town - stop for lunch
- Paniolo Country, Waimea
- Parker Ranch
- Guests choose from the following for lunch at location (menu is subject to change without notice):
- Hawaiian BBQ pork sandwich with slaw and rice or waffled french fries
- Teriyaki chicken sandwich with slaw and rice OR waffled french fries
- Kalua pork and cabbage with rice
- Organic chicken caesar salad
- Local veggie stir fry with choice of rice OR noodles and choice of Thai coconut OR Teriyaki sauce