Hawaii Forest & Trail - Twilight Volcano Adventure
This Big Island Hiking Tour is currently unavailable for booking on our site. Please visit our Big Island Hiking Tours page for other available tours.
This tour takes you through the Big Island’s incredible range of climate zones and ecosystems before experiencing the phenomenon that makes it all possible – an erupting volcano.
Kona/Waikoloa departure: Your adventure begins as we travel between two of the world's largest mountains, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. The region between these volcanoes is locally known as the Saddle and is home to some of the rarest plants and animals in the world. We’ll make a brief stop for lunch at Mauna Kea State Park and then continue towards Hilo. Before our final descent into the rainiest city in the United States, we will stop to explore Kaumana Cave. This lava tube once carried molten rock from Mauna Loa's upper rift zones down to the ocean.
Hilo departure: Start your afternoon with a stop at world-famous Rainbow Falls. Next, we’ll drive to a remote location where you’ll have an exclusive opportunity to descend into the depths of a private lava tube and experience first hand how lava once traveled underground through this massive cave system.
We’ll then make our ascent to the summit of Kilauea inside Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Your tour guide will lead you through the must-see spots and hidden gems of this World Heritage Site and International Biosphere Preserve. Conditions change daily, so we tailor your experience to the current eruptive events. The summit caldera, cinder fields, steam vents and native rainforests are all on our must-see list.
After a hot dinner made of locally sourced ingredients we’ll visit Jagger Museum overlooking Halemaumau Crater which contains a hidden lake of lava that lights up the sky after dark.
- Visit the top attractions in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- See volcanic craters, lava fields, cinder cones, steam vents and native rainforests
- Experience the red glow of the lava lake deep inside Halemaumau Crater
- Expert narration by your tour guide
- Deli-style lunch with assorted soft drinks, juices and bottled water (for tours departing from Kona only)
- Picnic dinner, snacks, assorted beverages, bottled water and hot cocoa
- National park entrance fee included
- Walking sticks, spotting scope, flashlights, day packs, warm wear and rain ponchos are provided