Essential Hawaii Tours - Volcano Lava Hike
Unavailable until further notice due to unpredictable conditions with current activity spikes.
This guided Big Island volcano lava hike takes you as close to the most current active eruption of Kilauea volcano as possible. Look for lava outbreaks and ocean entry during this once-in-a-lifetime adventure that only few ever get to see. You’ll also learn about the legendary volcano goddess Pele, as well as the nature and science behind Kilauea volcano.
Departing from the Kona side of the island, you’ll travel across Saddle Road into Hilo, where you’ll enjoy a delicious lunch at the Imiloa Astronomy Center. From here, the tour continues to an area just outside Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Your certified ranger trained tour guide will lead you on a several mile hike to the current eruption. This tour is fully narrated and you’ll learn many interesting facts about the island’s geology, culture and legends.
After enjoying the fascinating views of red hot lava, your guide will drive you to Uncle Robert’s Awa Club and Farmers Market for a famous Wednesday night social gathering for tasty food, fresh produce, live music entertainment and farmers market shopping. It’s a lively market, with wonderful sound, sight and smell – and lots of friendly aloha spirit.
- See Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea on your drive to Hilo
- Enjoy a several mile hike with fascinating views of the lava fields to the current eruption
- Plenty of great photo opportunities
- Lunch buffet with many entrée selections, vegetables, salad bar, fresh fruit and dessert choices at the “Sky Garden” restaurant at the Imiloa Astronomy Center
- Assorted juices, snacks and bottled water during the tour
- Walking sticks, warm wear and rain ponchos provided if needed
- Certified ranger trained tour guide will share interesting facts about the flora, fauna, geology and island legends