Wasabi Tours - Twilight Volcano & Stargazing Tour from Kona side
Departing from the Kohala/Kona side of the island, this is a great sightseeing tour that gets you close to the current volcanic activity on the Big Island. The first stop is south of Kona at a coffee farm where you'll get to see the orchards and learn about the harvesting and milling process while sampling the world-famous Kona coffee.
The tour then continues past the scenic view of Kealakekua Bay and South Point, the southernmost point in the United States. Make a pit stop at the Punalu'u Bakery, where you can try their delicious freshly baked Hawaiian sweet bread and malasades before arriving at Punalu'u Black Sand Beach, a great place to see Hawaiian green sea turtles.
In the afternoon, visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. You'll travel along the park's Chain of Craters Road and enjoy a "mountain to sea" experience. There will be various stops along the way within the park, including past flow sites, steam vents, scenic lookout points and the beautiful coastline with views of the Holei Sea Arch.
After dinner, your guide will take you to a great location for stargazing through a portable but powerful telescope. Depending on weather conditions, you will be able to observe stars and planets. It is an experience similar and comparable to stargazing at the Mauna Kea Visitor Center.
- Royal Kona Coffee farm and visit an on-site lava tube
- Punalu'u Bakery (optional, based on request)
- Punalu'u Black Sand Beach
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park* (about 2.5 hour stop including Kilauea Crater lookout, steam vents, Kilauea Iki lookout, Chain of Craters Road, Holei Sea Arch and up to one mile hike on a designated trail in the park)
- Stargazing with a telescope at either Volcanoes National Park or Mauna Kea State Park (NOT Mauna Kea Visitor Center) - weather permitting
- Learn about the history, culture, geography and ecology of Hawaii's Big Island from your knowledgeable, certified guide
*Park is partially reopening on September 22
- Picnic-style bento lunch
- Dinner at Lava Rock Café (Tuesday through Saturday) OR Kilauea Lodge (Sunday and Monday)