Wasabi Tours - Twilight Volcano & Stargazing Tour
Departing from the Kohala/Kona side of the island, this is a great sightseeing tour that gets you close to the current volcanic activity on the Big Island. The first stop is south of Kona at a coffee farm where you'll get to see the orchards and learn about the harvesting and milling process while sampling the world-famous Kona coffee.
The tour then continues past the scenic view of Kealakekua Bay and South Point, the southernmost point in the United States before arriving at Punalu'u Black Sand Beach, a great place to see Hawaiian green sea turtles.
In the afternoon, visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. You'll travel along the park's Chain of Craters Road and enjoy a "mountain to sea" experience. There will be various stops along the way within the park, including past flow sites, steam vents, scenic lookout points and the beautiful coastline with views of the Holei Sea Arch. You'll also get to see the Thurston lava tube.
After enjoying a sit-down dinner at a local restaurant near the park, your guide will take you to a great location for stargazing through a portable but powerful telescope. Depending on weather conditions, you will be able to observe stars and planets. It is an experience similar and comparable to stargazing at the Mauna Kea Visitor Center.
- Kona coffee farm
- Punalu'u Black Sand Beach
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (about 2.5 hour stop including Kilauea Crater lookout, steam vents, Kilauea Iki lookout, Chain of Craters Road, Thurston Lava Tube and Holei Sea Arch
- Stargazing with a telescope at either Volcanoes National Park or Mauna Kea State Park (NOT Mauna Kea Visitor Center) - weather permitting
- Learn about the history, culture, geography and ecology of Hawaii's Big Island from your knowledgeable, certified guide
- Picnic-style lunch: teriyaki chicken, panko crusted fish, steamed white rice and purple sweet potatoes (vegetarian alternative: tofu, vegetable stir-fry, sweet potatoes and white rice) - please select your lunch choice when making your reservation
- Dinner at a restaurant near the park (menu provided at restaurant)
- Assorted juices, snacks and bottled water