KapohoKine Adventures - Evening Volcano Explorer (from Hilo)
The original volcano lover's tour! Your adventure begins with a drive through picturesque Hilo town, where you'll get to see the historic waterfront before heading out to the old fishing village of Kalapana. Your National Park Service certified tour guide will share fascinating facts about the Big Island's volcanology, geology and history. Learn about Kilauea volcano and the various lava flows, as well as the area's flora and fauna. The village of Kalapana was destroyed by lava, as was the nearby beach of Kaimu. Hike across the lava flow to the new black sand beach that was formed.
The tour then continues on to the Star of the Sea Painted Church, which has been moved by the community twice to save it from advancing lava flows in 1990. This decommissioned church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The next stop is the crown jewel of Hawaii, the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Visit all of the park's top attractions, including the Kilauea Visitor's Center, the Kilauea Iki Crater Overlook and steaming bluffs. You'll also stop at the famous Volcano House to enjoy spectacular views of Kilauea Caldera and hike to the cracks and sinkholes in the paved roads left behind by the historic eruption of 2018. If weather and conditions permit, this tour also includes lava glow viewing.
- Drive through Hilo town and along the historic waterfront
- Visit Kalapana and Kaimu beach which were destroyed by lava flows
- See the new black sand beach and Star of the Sea Painted Church
- Stop at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Visit the Kilauea Visitor's Center, Kilauea Iki Crater Overlook, Steam Bluffs & Volcano House
- Delicious dinner (see menu below)
- Veggie Wrap & Fries
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Quarter Pounder Burger & Fries
- Loco Moco
- Kalua Pork Plate
All dinner choices include water, iced tea or coffee.