Hawaii Forest & Trail - Mauna Kea Summit Hawaii Observatory Tour
*Due to the popularity of this tour, please call us at 866-482-9775 to check availability if booking within the next month.
Please note: Tour participants must be at least 16 years old to go to the summit. Please call us at 866-482-9775 if you still wish to include a guest younger than 16 on the tour.
There’s a reason this tour is so popular. Watching a sunset and the stars from the summit of 13,796-foot Mauna Kea is truly a once in a lifetime experience.
Your adventure begins right after you get on the van. Enjoy the beautiful views along Saddle Road as you head towards the Mauna Kea access road. Marvel at the changing landscapes, from desolate lava flows and rolling pasturelands to sub-alpine dryforests and striking features such as cinder cones.
At Humuula, you’ll be served a hot picnic-style dinner. We’ll then continue up the mountain. Once at the summit, you’ll enjoy absolutely breathtaking views – see the entire Big Island including neighboring Mauna Loa and Hualalai and Mauna Kea’s world-class array of telescopes. From up here you can even see Mt. Haleakala on Maui. It might be hard to believe that you’re standing on the world’s tallest mountain, rising over 32,000 feet (9,754 m) from the ocean floor to its summit.
After sunset, there will be another stop at the Visitor Information Station, located at 9,000 feet (2,743 m) above sea level. Here we set up our own telescope to do some stargazing. Wrapped in your warm Arctic parka (which is provided), you’ll be served hot beverages and cookies. Your tour guide will share with you stories of the observable universe and offer you a personal and educational look at the night sky.
- Visit the summit of Mauna Kea – elevation 13,796 feet (4,205 m)
- Enjoy amazing sunset views from the summit
- Peak through a telescope
- Excellent stargazing location
- Expert tour guide will share interesting facts about the Big Island, Mauna Kea and the night sky
- Picnic-style dinner: Choose either the Barbecue Chicken (served hot) with lemon-mint quinoa and a dinner roll, or a Vegetarian Tofu Wrap (served cold) with peanut dipping sauce, lemon-mint quinoa and a dinner roll
- Assorted teas
- Hot chocolate and brownies served for dessert
- Warm hooded parkas and gloves are provided