Hawaii Forest & Trail - Mauna Kea Summit & Stars Adventure
Please note: Tour participants must be at least 16 years old to go to the summit due to the high altitude.
There’s a reason this tour is so popular. Watching a sunset and the stars from the summit of 13,796-foot Mauna Kea is truly a once in a lifetime experience. Your adventure begins right after you get on the van. Enjoy the beautiful views along Saddle Road as you head towards the Mauna Kea access road. Marvel at the changing landscapes, from desolate lava flows and rolling pasturelands to sub-alpine dryforests and striking features such as cinder cones.
Before heading up Mauna Kea, you’ll be served a hot picnic-style dinner. We’ll then continue up the mountain. Once at the summit, you’ll enjoy absolutely breathtaking views – see the entire Big Island including neighboring Mauna Loa and Hualalai and Mauna Kea’s world-class array of telescopes. From up here you can even see Mt. Haleakala on Maui. It might be hard to believe that you’re standing on the world’s tallest mountain, rising over 32,000 feet (9,754 m) from the ocean floor to its summit.
After sunset, there will be another stop at the Visitor Information Station, located at 9,000 feet (2,743 m) above sea level. Here we set up our own telescope to do some stargazing. Wrapped in your warm Arctic parka (which is provided), you’ll be served hot beverages and cookies. Your tour guide will share with you stories of the observable universe and offer you a personal and educational look at the night sky.
- Visit the summit of Mauna Kea – elevation 13,796 feet (4,205 m)
- Enjoy amazing sunset views from the summit
- Peak through a telescope
- Descend to a lower elevation after the sun sets and sip hot chocolate
during a private star show with our 11” Celestron telescope
- Excellent stargazing location
- Expert tour guide will share interesting facts about the Big Island, Mauna Kea and the night sky
- Dinner choice of one of the following: Beef stew or vegan chili (gluten free)
- Assorted teas
- Hot chocolate
- Warm hooded parkas and gloves are provided