Hawaii Travel Tips for Kids
Family travel to Hawaii is one of the more popular vacations that we encounter, and we love welcoming families of all sizes to the islands. There is something very special about enjoying a once in a lifetime trip with the ones you love most, spending time in one of the world’s most beautiful places.
Traveling alone or as a couple is pretty easy, but throwing a couple kids into the group can make things quite different. Though the outcome and the overall vacation is sure to be great, the actual traveling and organizing is sure to be a challenge, so we’ve put together something to help you out. Our Hawaii travel tips for kids will help to make your trip to the islands easier, and will hopefully make the entire trip more enjoyable.
Hawaii Travel Tips for Kids:
- Bring plenty of snacks.
- Bring plenty of things to do including games, books, and a fully charged tablet or phone.
- Don’t forget your charger.
- Purchase a movie for your phone or tablet prior to your flight. The few dollars you will pay for the movie will make things much easier.
- Pack more wet wipes and diapers than you will need for babies and toddlers.
- Ditch the purse and bring a backpack so you have both hands free.
- Bring a plane bag for each child with things to do and snacks. Don’t let them open it until you’ve taken off.
- Children under 2 will need a birth certificate
- Arrive early. Stay near the departure airport if checking into a hotel, and plan to get to your gate 2 hours before your flight.
- Bring their favorite toy/stuffed animal/blanket for security and comfort.
- Spend time looking out the window at the ground, pointing out what is below.
- Turn the experience of travel into a game that will keep them engaged.
- Create a scavenger hunt for the departure gate and flight.
- Book flights to match their naps and sleep schedule.
- Find out if your airports have a kid’s play area.
- In your hotel, request a roll away bed. This gives everyone a place to sleep, and the novelty of their own hotel bed can be exciting.
- Share cool facts about your destination with your kids leading up to your trip. This will get them excited and help them understand where they are going.
- Point out your home and destination on a map, and show them the distance in between.
Due to the high volume of visitors traveling to Hawaii year round, our Hawaii tours and activities sell out quickly. In many cases, tours sell out weeks or months in advance. To ensure your spots on tour, we recommend reserving your tours today. Call our office or book online to take advantage of our low price guarantee today.